January has become a favorite month for the Harpoon Helps team. It’s a great time to reflect on the past year’s events, and get working on those to come! Recently a few of us sat down over a beer and reminisced, and we wanted to share with you some fun facts and memories from 2013!
1) We took a swim in Boston Harbor… in 33° water. Nearly 300 volunteers showed their love for the beach and clean water by plunging in Boston Harbor in March as part of the 3rd annual Harpoon Helps Cupid Splash. Overall, participants raised $33,085 for Save the Harbor/Save the Bay!
2) For three nights in our Boston Beer Hall, brewers turned into waiters, our CEO played bartender, and our sales and marketing teams bussed tables. It was all hands on deck for our three Brewed for Boston nights in April when Harpoon employees donated their time. We donated 100% sales from all pints and pretzels sold that night, and all told raised $36,675 for The One Fund and victims of the Boston Marathon bombings.
3) A Harpoon IPA went for a run (along with 3799 friends)! 3800 runners took to the streets of South Boston to run the Harpoon 5-Miler. Runners fundraised $158,545 for the Angel Fund and ALS research.
4) We bowled with kegs! As participants of Harpoonfest and Octoberfest all know, we have a little game we like to call keg bowling. We donated all funds raised (as well as tips and coat check funds) to various charities in 2013, totaling $10,906!
5) Cyclists took to the road to end hunger in Vermont! Riders chose between three distances (115,50 and 25 miles) to ride and all finished at the Harpoon Brewery in Windsor, VT. Fundraisers raised $134,483 for the Vermont Foodbank!
6) We ran wearing lederhosen and dirndls. Over 1000 runners took to the pavement for the Harpoon Octoberfest Race, raising $28,200 for the Friends of Norris Cotton Cancer Center!
7) We rolled out the barrels. Each month, we donated auction items as well as many barrels of beer to be served at fundraising events around New England.
8) A couple Harpooners took a dip in a cranberry bog. Communications Manager, Merrill, along with brewer Steve visiting AD Makepeace, harvester of the cranberries used in our Grateful Harvest Cranberry Ale. Harpoon donated $1 per 6-pack sold of our Grateful Harvest to the local food bank where it was purchased to help end hunger in our communities. The donations totaled $47,178!
9) Our brewers finally had a legitimate reason to have a funky ‘stache. We joined forces with Movember to raise awareness for the Prostate Cancer Foundation and men’s health, and raised over $7,000!
10) Harpoon Brewery is the proud owner of 50 artificial Christmas trees. Harpoon employees, along with 500 volunteers, decorated over 40 community organizations for the holidays as part of the 13th annual Harpoon Helps Spread Holiday Cheer.
With the help of friends and volunteers, Harpoon Helps supported many worthy organizations and we are proud to announce…(drumroll, please)… our charitable contributions in 2013 totaled $904,365! A big thanks to those who joined in on the fun; we would not have been able to support as many organizations as we do without your participation and support! Cheers to a great year of Harpoon Helps and to many more fun times in 2014!